Pages

Monday 19 September 2022

Man harvests the magic of mushroom farming as second income

 

Compiled by LIEW JIA XIAN and BENJAMIN LEE

WHILE many people see mushrooms as just food, Hasrulizad Hasmuti saw them as an opportunity for a secondary source of income.

19 Jul 2022

The farm foreman at Felda Tenggaroh 5 in Johor said he had always been interested in growing mushrooms, so he started doing it at the site of a former petrol station in his village during his free time.

He invested RM400 and scored double returns of RM800.

“After I saw the amount I earned from the first batch, I bought more blocks so that I could grow more mushrooms, and now I can earn up to RM7,000 a month from the business,” the 42-year-old told Utusan Malaysia.

The father of four also said it was easy to grow and harvest mushrooms compared with other corps.

“When I come back from work, I would stop by the mushroom farm to tend to it for a while.

“It is really simple. I do not need to use any pesticides or buy big farming tools or equipment.

“The only tricky part is keeping the temperature consistently cold to ensure the best quality,” he added.

Hasrulizad said he was now using his knowledge and experience to help others in his area and hoped that more people would become mushroom entrepreneurs like him.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2022/07/19/man-harvests-the-magic-of-mushroom-farming-as-second-income